Chic & Cheerful

Fashion. Design. Life. Etc.

Monday, January 5, 2015

Bettering Oneself.

Image via wwd.com
     Happy New Year! The first week of 2015 is almost behind us, and I know that I've given a lot of thought on how I'd like to improve myself this year. New Years resolutions are a slippery slope- one can either grab hold and conquer, achieving the goals they've set for themselves, or fail miserably. Touchy, touchy, I know. A few days ago, while I was pondering my own list of improvements to make, I came across a Vanity Fair article sharing none other than Marilyn Monroe's list of goals for 1955. I've always been fascinated by Marilyn, seeing as how she was portrayed mostly as a "dumb blonde,"  but when you scratch the surface, she was anything but...
Image via uproxx.com
Originally published in the book "Fragments."
     Clearly this document isn't the easiest to read, but lucky for us, her handwriting has been deciphered into an easily readable transcription. So what were Marilyn's goals for herself?


Must make effort to do
Must have the dicipline to do the following –

z – go to class – my own always – without fail

x – go as often as possible to observe Strassberg’s other private classes

g – never miss actor’s studio sessions

v – work whenever possible – on class assignments – and always keep working on the acting exercises

u – start attending Clurman lectures – also Lee Strassberg’s directors lectures at theater wing – enquire about both

l – keep looking around me – only much more so – observing – but not only myself but others and everything – take things (it) for what they (it’s) are worth

y – must make strong effort to work on current problems and phobias that out of my past has arisen – making much much much more more more more more effort in my analisis. And be there always on time – no excuses for being ever late.

w – if possible – take at least one class at university – in literature –

o – follow RCA thing through.

p – try to find someone to take dancing from – body work (creative)

t – take care of my instrument – personally & bodily (exercise)

try to enjoy myself when I can – I’ll be miserable enough as it is.


     Her goals are surprisingly (or not surprisingly if you've read about her) deep, and it is both comforting and sad to see that she regards herself with the same human frailty as anyone else, despite her screen goddess status. Good luck to everyone in accomplishing your resolutions, and may 2015 be filled with health, happiness, and accomplishments!

No comments:

Post a Comment